May 15, 2017
Global Warmists dismiss those of us who remember the "Global Cooling" panic of the 1970's as silly. They claim there was just one artiice - a Newsweek story, and that was it. They are dead wrong.
Take a look at this, courtesy of Helen Dyer
1845 – The whole of Sir John Franklin’s expedition to find the NW Passage died and their ships were crushed by the ice near Baffin Island
1909-1910 – Amundsen sailed an ice free NW Passage
1922 – The Arctic is warming and fishermen are catching species that have never been seen there before. Yawn
1970 – Kenneth Field "The world is cooling and global temperatures could drop by up to 11C that would freeze the North Atlantic for 4- months of the year within 20-years …”
1970 – Colder Winters Held Dawn of New Ice Age – Scientists See Ice Age In the Future<http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/washingtonpost_historical/access/157892192.html?dids=157892192:157892192&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=JAN+11%2C+1970&author=Washington+Post+Staff+WriterBy+David+R.+Boldt&pub=The+Washington+Post&desc=Colder+Winters+Held+Dawn+of+New+Ice+Age&pqatl=google> (The Washington Post, January 11, 1970)
1970 – Is Mankind Manufacturing a New Ice Age for Itself?<http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/659824322.html?dids=659824322:659824322&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&date=Jan+15%2C+1970&author=IRVING+S+BENGELSDORF&pub=Los+Angeles+Times&desc=Is+Mankind+Manufacturing+a+New+Ice+Age+for+Itself%3F&pqatl=google> (L.A. Times, January 15, 1970)
1970 – New Ice Age May Descend On Man<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=QIQiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4akFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1453,2230019> (Sumter Daily Item, January 26, 1970)
1970 – Pollution Prospect A Chilling One<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=jjgiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=9KsFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1371,2354081> (Owosso Argus-Press, January 26, 1970)
1970 – Pollution’s 2-way ‘Freeze’ On Society<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=dZNBAAAAIBAJ&sjid=lqkMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6140,1353948> (Middlesboro Daily News, January 28, 1970)
1970 – Cold Facts About Pollution<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=j2gfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5dQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1789,2556510> (The Southeast Missourian, January 29, 1970)
1970 – Pollution Could Cause Ice Age, Agency Reports<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=qvcNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_3sDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5498,3270345> (St. Petersburg Times, March 4, 1970)
1970 – Pollution Called Ice Age Threat<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=h_0NAAAAIBAJ&sjid=I3wDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3656,4469550> (St. Petersburg Times, June 26, 1970)
1970 – Dirt Will .Bring New Ice Age<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=oKspAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AOUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3323,8047767> (The Sydney Morning Herald, October 19, 1970)
1971 – Ice Age Refugee Dies Underground<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=u64tAAAAIBAJ&sjid=iKAFAAAAIBAJ&pg=939,4211115> (The Montreal Gazette, Febuary 17, 1971)
1971 – U.S. Scientist Sees New Ice Age Coming<http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/washingtonpost_historical/access/144703752.html?dids=144703752:144703752&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&fmac=&date=Jul+9,+1971&author=By+Victor+CohnWashington+Post+Staff+Writer&desc=U.S.+Scientist+Sees+New+Ice+Age+Coming> (The Washington Post, July 9, 1971)
1971 – Ice Age Around the Corner<http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/access/597301342.html?dids=597301342:597301342&FMT=CITE&FMTS=CITE:AI&type=historic&date=Jul+10%2C+1971&author=&pub=Chicago+Tribune&desc=Ice+Age+Around+the+Corner&pqatl=google> (Chicago Tribune, July 10, 1971)
1971 – New Ice Age Coming – It’s Already Getting Colder<http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/685244192.html?dids=685244192:685244192&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&date=Oct+24%2C+1971&author=GEORGE+GETZE&pub=Los+Angeles+Times&desc=New+Ice+Age+Coming---It%27s+Already+Getting+Colder&pqatl=google> (L.A. Times, October 24, 1971)
1971 – Another Ice Age? Pollution Blocking Sunlight<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=0_cgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=lnMFAAAAIBAJ&pg=806,54617> (The Day, November 1, 1971)
1971 – Air Pollution Could Bring An Ice Age<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=zoFBAAAAIBAJ&sjid=WakMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3457,2979744> (Harlan Daily Enterprise, November 4, 1971)
1972 – Air pollution may cause ice age<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=xSIRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5YoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3070,3629889> (Free-Lance Star, February 3, 1972)
1972 – Scientist Says New ice Age Coming (The Ledger, February 13, 1972)
1972 – Scientist predicts new ice age<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=MnMQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=R4sDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2204,1181394> (Free-Lance Star, September 11, 1972)
1972 – British expert on Climate Change says Says New Ice Age Creeping Over Northern Hemisphere<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ASRHAAAAIBAJ&sjid=u_MMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1081,1308250> (Lewiston Evening Journal, September 11, 1972)
1972 – Climate Seen Cooling For Return Of Ice Age<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=DclQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=WNAMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1765,1073786> (Portsmouth Times, September 11, 1972)
1972 – New Ice Age Slipping Over North<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=1oxLAAAAIBAJ&sjid=EyQNAAAAIBAJ&pg=7074,2222741> (Press-Courier, September 11, 1972)
1972 – Ice Age Begins A New Assault In North<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=g-YPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1pADAAAAIBAJ&pg=5612,2539402> (The Age, September 12, 1972)
1972 – Weather To Get Colder<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=GYs0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=fqEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3996,3163543> (Montreal Gazette, September 12, 1972)
1972 – British climate expert predicts new Ice Age<http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/csmonitor_historic/access/264940572.html?dids=264940572:264940572&FMT=CITE&FMTS=CITE:AI&date=Sep+23%2C+1972&author=&pub=Christian+Science+Monitor&desc=British+climate+expert+predicts+new+Ice+Age&pqatl=google> (The Christian Science Monitor, September 23, 1972)
1972 – Scientist Sees Chilling Signs of New Ice Age<http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/684637452.html?dids=684637452:684637452&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&date=Sep+24%2C+1972&author=&pub=Los+Angeles+Times&desc=Scientist+Sees+Chilling+Signs+of+New+Ice+Age&pqatl=google> (L.A. Times, September 24, 1972)
1972 – Science: Another Ice Age?<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,910467,00.html> (Time Magazine, November 13, 1972)
1973 – The Ice Age Cometh<http://www.unz.org/Pub/SaturdayRev-1973mar24-00029> (The Saturday Review, March 24, 1973)
1973 – Weather-watchers think another ice age may be on the way<http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/csmonitor_historic/access/265591482.html?dids=265591482:265591482&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&date=Dec+11%2C+1973&author=By+David+F.+Salisbury+Staff+correspondent+of+The+Christian+Science+Monitor&pub=Christian+Science+Monitor&desc=Weather-watchers+think+another+ice+age+may+be+on+the+way--sometime&pqatl=google> (The Christian Science Monitor, December 11, 1973)[image001.jpg]<http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/thebigfreeze.jpg>
1974 – New evidence indicates ice age here<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=SGYRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=OeADAAAAIBAJ&pg=6529,7703615&dq=allintitle:+ice+age&hl=en> (Eugene Register-Guard, May 29, 1974)
1974 – Another Ice Age?<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,944914,00.html> (Time Magazine, June 24, 1974)
1974 – 2 Scientists Think ‘Little’ Ice Age Near<http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/courant/access/964208132.html?dids=964208132:964208132&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&date=Aug+11%2C+1974&author=&pub=The+Hartford+Courant&desc=2+Scientists+Think+%27Little%27+Ice+Age+Near&pqatl=google> (The Hartford Courant, August 11, 1974)
1974 – Ice Age, worse food crisis seen<http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/access/611645872.html?dids=611645872:611645872&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&date=Oct+30%2C+1974&author=Ronald+Yates&pub=Chicago+Tribune&desc=Ice+Age%2C+worse+food+crisis+seen&pqatl=google> (The Chicago Tribune, October 30, 1974)
1974 – Believes Pollution Could Bring On Ice Age<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=KkMKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Q0oDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3031,5319949> (Ludington Daily News, December 4, 1974)
1974 – Pollution Could Spur Ice Age, Nasa Says<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=gPsqAAAAIBAJ&sjid=OdoFAAAAIBAJ&pg=886,546896> (Beaver Country Times, December 4, 1974)
1974 – Air Pollution May Trigger Ice Age, Scientists Feel<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ZaQrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uPwFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5191,1022557> (The Telegraph, December 5, 1974)
1974 – More Air Pollution Could Trigger Ice Age Disaster<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=kfhDAAAAIBAJ&sjid=NLAMAAAAIBAJ&pg=2502,4753810> (Daily Sentinel – December 5, 1974)
1974 – Scientists Fear Smog Could Cause Ice Age<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=KWwjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=BikEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1719,4372546> (Milwaukee Journal, December 5, 1974)
1975 – Climate Changes Called Ominous<http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9505E0D9143AE034BC4152DFB766838E669EDE> (The New York Times, January 19, 1975)
1975 – Climate Change: Chilling Possibilities<http://www.sciencenews.org/view/access/id/37739/file/SN1975_Climate_change_chilling_possibilities.pdf> (Science News, March 1, 1975)
1975 – B-r-r-r-r: New Ice Age on way soon?<http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/access/611341812.html?dids=611341812:611341812&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&date=Mar+02%2C+1975&author=&pub=Chicago+Tribune&desc=B-r-r-r-r%3A+New+Ice+Age+on+way+soon%3F&pqatl=google> (The Chicago Tribune, March 2, 1975)
1975 – Cooling Trends Arouse Fear That New Ice Age Coming<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=R7ITAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mNkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6865,188682> (Eugene Register-Guard, March 2, 1975)
1975 – Is Another Ice Age Due? Arctic Ice Expands In Last Decade<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=QAFJAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5oIMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1282,407671> (Youngstown Vindicator – March 2, 1975)
1975 – Is Earth Headed For Another Ice Age?<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Fw5XAAAAIBAJ&sjid=H0MNAAAAIBAJ&pg=4054,763443> (Reading Eagle, March 2, 1975)
1975 – New Ice Age Dawning? Significant Shift In Climate Seen<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=UxQsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ncgEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1023,74977> (Times Daily, March 2, 1975)
1975 – There’s Troublesome Weather Ahead<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=_nchAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ZogFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2882,74458> (Tri City Herald, March 2, 1975)
1975 – Is Earth Doomed To Live Through Another Ice Age?<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=XOI_AAAAIBAJ&sjid=MVgMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3973,252553> (The Robesonian, March 3, 1975)
1975 – The Ice Age cometh: the system that controls our climate<http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/access/611566792.html?dids=611566792:611566792&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&date=Apr+13%2C+1975&author=Joel+Shurkin&pub=Chicago+Tribune&desc=The+Ice+Age+cometh%3A+the+system+that+controls+our+climate&pqatl=google> (The Chicago Tribune, April 13, 1975)
1975 – The Cooling World<http://denisdutton.com/cooling_world.htm> (Newsweek, April 28, 1975)
1975 – Scientists Ask Why World Climate Is Changing; Major Cooling May Be Ahead<http://www.wmconnolley.org.uk/sci/iceage/ny-times-1975-05-21.pdf> (PDF) (The New York Times, May 21, 1975)
1975 – In the Grip of a New Ice Age? (International Wildlife, July-August, 1975)
1975 – Oil Spill Could Cause New Ice Age<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ttsjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GSkEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7083,335688> (Milwaukee Journal, December 11, 1975)
1976 – The Cooling: Has the Next Ice Age Already Begun? [Book]<http://www.amazon.com/Cooling-Has-Next-Already-Begun/dp/013172312X> (Lowell Ponte, 1976)
1977 – Blizzard – What Happens if it Doesn’t Stop? [Book]<http://www.amazon.com/Blizzard-What-Happens-If-Doesnt-Stop/dp/B000HZJOTG> (George Stone, 1977)
1977 – The Weather Conspiracy: The Coming of the New Ice Age [Book]<http://books.google.com/books?id=eThRAAAAMAAJ> (The Impact Team, 1977)
1976 – Worrisome CIA Report; Even U.S. Farms May be Hit by Cooling Trend (U.S. News & World Report, May 31, 1976)
1977 – The Big Freeze<http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,918620,00.html> (Time Magazine, January 31, 1977)
1977 – We Will Freeze in the Dark<http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30610F6345F137B93C0A8178FD85F438785F9> (Capital Cities Communications Documentary, Host: Nancy Dickerson, April 12, 1977)
1978 – The New Ice Age [Book]<http://openlibrary.org/b/OL4717080M/new-ice-age> (Henry Gilfond, 1978)
1978 – Little Ice Age: Severe winters and cool summers ahead<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=s3FkAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4n0NAAAAIBAJ&pg=1060,4124296> (Calgary Herald, January 10, 1978)
1978 – Winters Will Get Colder, ‘we’re Entering Little Ice Age’<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=LwEQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=bI8DAAAAIBAJ&pg=3877,465994> (Ellensburg Daily Record, January 10, 1978)
1978 – Geologist Says Winters Getting Colder<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=mylCAAAAIBAJ&sjid=xaoMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6147,666578> (Middlesboro Daily News, January 16, 1978)
1978 – It’s Going To Get Colder<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=JOtYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mowDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3555,2907200> (Boca Raton News, January 17, 1978)
1978 – Believe new ice age is coming<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=dEgLAAAAIBAJ&sjid=WlIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2957,5904697> (The Bryan Times, March 31, 1978)
1978 – The Coming Ice Age<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0894213/> (In Search Of TV Show, Season 2, Episode 23, Host: Leonard Nimoy, May 1978)
1978 – An Ice Age Is Coming Weather Expert Fears<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=588VAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-REEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3017,3553525> (Milwaukee Sentinel, November 17, 1978)
1979 – A Choice of Catastrophes – The Disasters That Threaten Our World [Book]<http://openlibrary.org/books/OL4410494M/A_choice_of_catastrophes> (Isaac Asimov, 1979)
1979 – Get Ready to Freeze<http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=TP1jAAAAIBAJ&sjid=LvkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6686,3866860> (Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 12, 1979)
1979 – New ice age almost upon us?<http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/csmonitor_historic/access/187037982.html?dids=187037982:187037982&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&date=Nov+14%2C+1979&author=By+Robert+C.+Cowen&pub=Christian+Science+Monitor&desc=New+ice+age+almost+upon+us%3F&pqatl=google> (The Christian Science Monitor, November 14, 1979)
* A couple of the news stories are duplicates in different papers with slightly different titles, this is intentional to show that these types of stories were not isolated to a certain regional paper.
And from the National Center for Atmospheric Research:
[ScreenHunter_86 Feb. 24 04.50]<http://stevengoddard.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/screenhunter_86-feb-24-04-50.jpg>
[ScreenHunter_89 Feb. 24 04.56]<http://stevengoddard.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/screenhunter_89-feb-24-04-56.jpg>
2009 – CLIMATEGATE EMAILS!!
2013 – Who can forget Prophessor Turney of Sydney and the Oz ‘Ship of Fools’ icebound after predicting no ice (makes one proud to be Australian, dun’it?) http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/12/30/the-antarctic-research-fiasco-would-you-could-you-in-a-boat/
2013 – In 2000, scientists at perhaps the world’s centre of global warming alarmism issued this prediction:
According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia, within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event”.
”Children just aren’t going to know what snow is<http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/i_dont_think_the_warmists_models_are_working/>,” he said.
It’s now 2013 - which surely must now qualify as "within a few years”.
On Friday, Moscow was on a verge of traffic collapse as more than 10 inches of snow fell on the city<http://rt.com/news/winter-snow-russia-weather-275/>,which is more than half of January’s average… In the Altai Republic in Western Siberia, 12 Russian settlements were isolated because of the snowstorm…
In the end of 2012, Russia saw extreme winter not witnessed since 1938. The coldest-ever December in Russia led to the evacuation of hundreds of people in Siberia, where temperatures fell below -50 degrees Celsius; Moscow also saw its coldest night ever for the season.
Snow is expected to blanket the UK for the next week, with no end to the freezing conditions in sight.
Snowfalls across western Europe have disrupted travel plans, with cancellations and closures at some major airports.
I really don’t think global warming is working out as the experts predicted.
2013 – Never let reality deceive you with .... well, reality
NOAA: 2185 cold records broken or tied in past week – 1913 Low Min Records Broken & 272 tied in 7 days<http://www.climatedepot.com/2015/02/28/noaa-2185-cold-records-broken-or-tied-in-past-week-1913-low-min-records-broken-272-tied-in-7-days/>
2015 NASA puts out an ‘Arthur & Martha’ prediction Cooling or Warming - it's your fault<http://iceagenow.info/complete-turn-around-now-nasa-says-burning-fossil-fuels-cools-planet/>
Subject: 120 Years Of Climate Scares And Progressive Scams...
120 years of climate scares – no kidding, people are stupid! And gullible…
By Thomas Lifson
Scientists seeking funding and journalists seeking an audience agree: panic sells.
"Global cooling is going to kills us all!” "No, wait: global warming is going to kill us all!”
All that’s missing is a back-and-forth of "You shut up!” "No, you shut up!” That is reserved for those who doubt the need for panic.
That’s the gist of an amazing chronology of the last 120 years of scare-mongering on climate, assembled by butnowyouknow.net<http://butnowyouknow.net/those-who-fail-to-learn-from-history/climate-change-timeline/> and reprinted by the estimable James Watt in Wattsupwiththat<http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/29/a-brief-history-of-climate-panic-and-crisis-both-warming-and-cooling/>, who updates it to the present. It is truly mind-boggling:
· 1895 - Geologists Think the World May Be Frozen Up Again – New York Times, February 1895<http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9F02E1D8163CE433A25757C2A9649C94649ED7CF>
· 1902 - "Disappearing Glaciers…deteriorating slowly, with a persistency that means their final annihilation…scientific fact…surely disappearing.” – Los Angeles Times
· 1912 - Prof. Schmidt Warns Us of an Encroaching Ice Age – New York Times, October 1912<http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9A04EED7113AE633A25754C0A9669D946396D6CF>
· 1923 - "Scientist says Arctic ice will wipe out Canada” – Professor Gregory of Yale University, American representative to the Pan-Pacific Science Congress, – Chicago Tribune
· 1923 - "The discoveries of changes in the sun’s heat and the southward advance of glaciers in recent years have given rise to conjectures of the possible advent of a new ice age” – Washington Post
· 1924 - MacMillan Reports Signs of New Ice Age – New York Times, Sept 18, 1924<http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FA0C14FB3C5B12738DDDA10A94D1405B848EF1D3&scp=1&sq=%93MacMillan+Reports+Signs%22&st=p>
· 1929 - "Most geologists think the world is growing warmer, and that it will continue to get warmer” – Los Angeles Times, in Is another ice age coming?
· 1932 - "If these things be true, it is evident, therefore that we must be just teetering on an ice age” – The Atlantic magazine, This Cold, Cold World
· 1933 - America in Longest Warm Spell Since 1776; Temperature Line Records a 25-Year Rise – New York Times, March 27th, 1933<http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F00617FF3D5E1A7A93C5AB1788D85F478385F9&scp=1&sq=%22America+in+Longest+Warm+Spell+Since+1776%22&st=p>
· 1933 – "…wide-spread and persistent tendency toward warmer weather…Is our climate changing?” – Federal Weather Bureau "Monthly Weather Review.”
· 1938 - Global warming, caused by man heating the planet with carbon dioxide, "is likely to prove beneficial to mankind in several ways, besides the provision of heat and power.”– Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
· 1938 - "Experts puzzle over 20 year mercury rise…Chicago is in the front rank of thousands of cities thuout the world which have been affected by a mysterious trend toward warmer climate in the last two decades” – Chicago Tribune
· 1939 - "Gaffers who claim that winters were harder when they were boys are quite right… weather men have no doubt that the world at least for the time being is growing warmer” – Washington Post
· 1952 - "…we have learned that the world has been getting warmer in the last half century” – New York Times, August 10th, 1962<http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EF6345A107B93C2A81783D85F468585F9&scp=1&sq=%22has+been+getting+warmer+in+the+last+half+century%22&st=p>
· 1954 - "…winters are getting milder, summers drier. Glaciers are receding, deserts growing” – U.S. News and World Report
· 1954 - Climate – the Heat May Be Off – Fortune Magazine
· 1959 - "Arctic Findings in Particular Support Theory of Rising Global Temperatures” – New York Times
· 1969 - "…the Arctic pack ice is thinning and that the ocean at the North Pole may become an open sea within a decade or two” – New York Times, February 20th, 1969<http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F40A11FC3959147493C2AB1789D85F4D8685F9&scp=1&sq=%22Arctic+pack+ice+is+thinning+and+that+the+ocean+at+the%22&st=p>
· 1969 – "If I were a gambler, I would take even money that England will not exist in the year 2000? — Paul Ehrlich (while he now predicts doom from global warming, this quote only gets honorable mention, as he was talking about his crazy fear of overpopulation)
· 1970 - "…get a good grip on your long johns, cold weather haters – the worst may be yet to come…there’s no relief in sight” – Washington Post
· 1974 - Global cooling for the past forty years – Time Magazine
· 1974 - "Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age” –Washington Post
· 1974 - "As for the present cooling trend a number of leading climatologists have concluded that it is very bad news indeed” – Fortune magazine, who won a Science Writing Award from the American Institute of Physics for its analysis of the danger
· 1974 - "…the facts of the present climate change are such that the most optimistic experts would assign near certainty to major crop failure…mass deaths by starvation, and probably anarchy and violence” – New York Times
Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age
· 1975 - Scientists Ponder Why World’s Climate is Changing; A Major Cooling Widely Considered to Be Inevitable – New York Times, May 21st, 1975<http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50B1FFD395D137B93C3AB178ED85F418785F9&scp=1&sq=%22Scientists+Ponder+Why+World%92s+Climate+is+Changing%22&st=p>
· 1975 - "The threat of a new ice age must now stand alongside nuclear war as a likely source of wholesale death and misery for mankind” Nigel Calder, editor, New Scientist magazine, in an article in International Wildlife Magazine
· 1976 - "Even U.S. farms may be hit by cooling trend” – U.S. News and World Report
· 1981 - Global Warming – "of an almost unprecedented magnitude” – New York Times
· 1988 - I would like to draw three main conclusions. Number one, the earth is warmer in 1988 than at any time in the history of instrumental measurements. Number two, the global warming is now large enough that we can ascribe with a high degree of confidence a cause and effect relationship to the greenhouse effect. And number three, our computer climate simulations indicate that thegreenhouse effect is already large enough to begin to effect the probability of extreme events such as summer heat waves. – Jim Hansen, June 1988 testimony<http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Environment/documents/2008/06/23/ClimateChangeHearing1988.pdf> before Congress, see His later quote<http://butnowyouknow.net/those-who-fail-to-learn-from-history/climate-change-timeline/#hype> andHis superior’s objection<http://butnowyouknow.net/those-who-fail-to-learn-from-history/climate-change-timeline/#horror> for context
· 1989 -"On the one hand, as scientists we are ethically bound to the scientific method, in effect promising to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but – which means that we must include all doubts, the caveats, the ifs, ands and buts. On the other hand, we are not just scientists but human beings as well. And like most people we’d like to see the world a better place, which in this context translates into our working to reduce the risk of potentially disastrous climate change. To do that we need to get some broad based support, to capture the public’s imagination. That, of course, means getting loads of media coverage. So we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we might have. This "double ethical bind” we frequently find ourselves in cannot be solved by any formula. Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest. I hope that means being both.” – Stephen Schneider, lead author of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change,Discover magazine, October 1989
· 1990 - "We’ve got to ride the global warming issue. Even if the theory of global warming is wrong, we will be doing the right thing – in terms of economic policy and environmental policy” – Senator Timothy Wirth
· 1993 - "Global climate change may alter temperature and rainfall patterns, many scientists fear, with uncertain consequences for agriculture.” – U.S. News and World Report
· 1998 - No matter if the science [of global warming] is all phony . . . climate change [provides] the greatest opportunity to bring about justice and equality in the world.” —Christine Stewart, Canadian Minister of the Environment, Calgary Herald, 1998
· 2001 - "Scientists no longer doubt that global warming is happening, and almost nobody questions the fact that humans are at least partly responsible.” – Time Magazine, Monday, Apr. 09, 2001<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,999630,00.html>
· 2003 - Emphasis on extreme scenarios may have been appropriate at one time, when the public and decision-makers were relatively unaware of the global warming issue, and energy sources such as "synfuels,” shale oil and tar sands were receiving strong consideration” – Jim Hansen, NASA Global Warming activist, Can we defuse The Global Warming Time Bomb?<http://naturalscience.com/ns/articles/01-16/ns_jeh6.html>, 2003
· 2006 - "I believe it is appropriate to have an over-representation of factual presentations on how dangerous it is, as a predicate for opening up the audience to listen to what the solutions are, and how hopeful it is that we are going to solve this crisis.” — Al Gore, Grist magazine, May 2006<http://www.grist.org/news/maindish/2006/05/09/roberts/index.html>
· 2006 – "It is not a debate over whether the earth has been warming over the past century. The earth is always warming or cooling, at least a few tenths of a degree…” —Richard S. Lindzen, the Alfred P. Sloan professor of meteorology at MIT
· 2006 – "What we have fundamentally forgotten is simple primary school science. Climate always changes. It is always…warming or cooling, it’s never stable. And if it were stable, it would actually be interesting scientifically because it would be the first time for four and a half billion years.” —Philip Stott, emeritus professor of bio-geography at the University of London
· 2006 - "Since 1895, the media has alternated between global cooling and warming scares during four separate and sometimes overlapping time periods. From 1895 until the 1930’s the media peddled a coming ice age. From the late 1920’s until the 1960’s they warned of global warming. From the 1950’s until the 1970’s they warned us again of a coming ice age. This makes modern global warming the fourth estate’s fourth attempt to promote opposing climate change fears during the last 100 years.” –Senator James Inhofe<http://epw.senate.gov/speechitem.cfm?party=rep&id=263759>, Monday, September 25, 2006
· 2007- "I gave a talk recently (on fallacies of global warming) and three members of the Canadian government, the environmental cabinet, came up afterwards and said, ‘We agree with you, but it’s not worth our jobs to say anything.’ So what’s being created is a huge industry with billions of dollars of government money and people’s jobs dependent on it.” – Dr. Tim Ball, Coast-to-Coast, Feb 6, 2007
· 2008 – "Hansen was never muzzled even though he violated NASA’s official agency position on climate forecasting (i.e., we did not know enough to forecast climate change or mankind’s effect on it). Hansen thus embarrassed NASA by coming out with his claims of global warming in 1988 in his testimony before Congress” – Dr. John S. Theon, retired Chief of the Climate Processes Research Program atNASA, see above for Hansen quotes
Section updated by Anthony:
· 2009 – Climate change: melting ice will trigger wave of natural disasters. Scientists at a London conference next week will warn of earthquakes, avalanches and volcanic eruptions as the atmosphere heats up and geology is altered. Even Britain could face being struck by tsunamis – "Not only are the oceans and atmosphere conspiring against us, bringing baking temperatures, more powerful storms and floods, but the crust beneath our feet seems likely to join in too,” – Professor Bill McGuire, director of the Benfield Hazard Research Centre, at University College London, – The Guardian, Sep 2009<http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/sep/06/global-warming-natural-disasters-conference>.
· 2010 – What Global Warming Looks Like. It was more than 5°C (about 10°F) warmer than climatology in the eastern European region including Moscow. There was an area in eastern Asia that was similarly unusually hot. The eastern part of the United States was unusually warm, although not to the degree of the hot spots in Eurasia. James Hansen – NASA GISS, August 11, 2010<http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2010july/>.
· 2011 – Where Did Global Warming Go? "In Washington, ‘climate change’ has become a lightning rod, it’s a four-letter word,” said Andrew J. Hoffman, director of the University of Michigan’s Erb Institute for Sustainable Development. – New York Times, Oct 15, 2011.<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/sunday-review/whatever-happened-to-global-warming.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0>
· 2012 – Global warming close to becoming irreversible-scientists. "This is the critical decade. If we don’t get the curves turned around this decade we will cross those lines,” said Will Steffen, executive director of the Australian National University’s climate change institute, speaking at a conference in London. Reuters, Mar 26, 2012<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/26/us-climate-thresholds-idUSBRE82P0UJ20120326>
· 2013 – Global-warming ‘proof’ is evaporating. The 2013 hurricane season just ended as one of the five quietest years since 1960. But don’t expect anyone who pointed to last year’s hurricanes as "proof” of the need to act against global warming to apologize; the warmists don’t work that way. New York Post, Dec 5, 2013<http://nypost.com/2013/12/05/global-warming-proof-is-evaporating/>
· 2014 – Climate change: It’s even worse than we thought. Five years ago, the last report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change painted a gloomy picture of our planet’s future. As climate scientists gather evidence for the next report, due in 2014, Michael Le Page gives seven reasons why things are looking even grimmer. –New Scientist<http://www.newscientist.com/special/worse-climate> (undated in 2014)
Posted by: Dana Mathewson at May 17, 2017 08:03 PM (L2iAj)
No Global Cooling Panic my a, er, eye!
Posted by: Timothy Birdnow at May 22, 2017 06:44 AM (qjrug)
35 queries taking 0.1798 seconds, 72 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.