January 24, 2020
So let's review the bidding. The Democrats say that President Trump insisted on a quid pro quo with Ukraine. The quid pro quo was supposedly that President Trump wouldn't release the foreign aid until Ukraine investigated the corruption at Burisima and the firing of the prosecutor investigating it. Generally, this is called "blackmail". So lets look at the facts:
• The transcript of the phone call shows Trump saying:
"The other thing, There's a lot of talk about Biden's son, that Biden stopped the prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that so whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be great. Biden went around bragging that he stopped the prosecution so if you can look into it ... It sounds horrible to me."
Next, here's what Quid Pro Joe Biden publically said that the President is referring to:
""I said, ‘You’re not getting the billion.’ I’m going to be leaving here in, I think it was about six hours. I looked at them and said: ‘I’m leaving in six hours. If the prosecutor is not fired, you’re not getting the money,’” Biden told the 2018 audience in recounting what he told Poroshenko
"Well, son of a bitch, he got fired. And they
put in place someone who was solid at the time,” Biden told the Council
on Foreign Relations event.
Sounds horrible to me as well ...
So let's be clear. Joe Biden claimed he blackmailed the Ukrainians into stopping an investigation into his son, Quid Pro Blow Biden ... and President Trump is now facing impeachment for asking the Ukrainians to find out if what Joe said was true.
• Was this a political mistake? Yes, obviously. But is it an illegal abuse of power for a President to ask a foreign country to investigate corruption? Absolutely not.
• Next, President Trump said there was no quid pro quo.
• The transcript of the phone call shows no quid pro quo.
• The Ukrainian President said there was no quid pro quo.
• The Ukrainian Vice-President said there was no quid pro quo.
• There was a delay in the foreign aid, because by law we can't provide aid to corrupt countries and they had to investigate.
• However, the Ukranians never even knew the aid was delayed.
• The Ukranians did NOT start an investigation into corruption, of Quid Pro Blow or anyone else.
• Despite them NOT starting an investigation, the Ukranians got the foreign aid, more than Obama ever gave them.
If that was an attempt to blackmail Ukraine, it was not just unsuccessful—it
So let's be clear. Joe Biden successfully blackmailed the Ukrainian government by threatening to withhold a billion taxpayer dollars unless they agreed to fire the prosecutor investigating his son Hunter's blatant corruption ...
This is perhaps the ultimate irony. The President is accused of an impeachable offense for NOT doing what Joe Biden boasted about successfully doing.
We live in strange times, friends. My solution?
Require a 2/3 vote in the House before they can start an Impeachment. If they can't get that, their case is far too weak.Here's a bit more interesting information ... turns out Trump delayed the aid to Ukraine in 2017 as well, and for the same reason—concerns about corruption.
More inconvenient facts ... Ukraine aid wasn't the only aid held up.
A NOTE FROM TIM:
Willis, you point out "Here's a bit more interesting information ... turns out Trump delayed the aid to Ukraine in 2017 as well, and for the same reason—concerns about corruption" I find that interesting because in 2017 Al Green and Steve Cohen and a bunch of Democratic co-sponsors put forward a bill of impeachment against President Trump https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-resolution/621/text and there was no mention of THIS in their attempt. Funny; we are supposed to believe Trump is guilty of this particular non-crime when in fact they had already tried to impeach him over "Russian collusion" and failed.
They've been trying to impeach this guy since he won the office. But it is all down the memory hole because it makes the Democrats look bad.
Posted by: Dana Mathewson at January 24, 2020 08:51 PM (nYRaQ)
Posted by: Timothy Birdnow at January 25, 2020 08:51 AM (gRqOn)
37 queries taking 0.216 seconds, 109 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.